Finding the best deal for your energy bills
How to find the cheapest energy supplier
Every household deserves to choose from the best possible deals for heating and running their home. Shopping around for the cheapest energy supplier might feel like a big task, but it doesn’t need to be.
What energy really costs
Like what you’re reading? Get more in our monthly newsletter!
Get the latest news and articles straight to your inbox from Utility Saving Expert
Find the best energy deal for you
Nobody can decide the best gas or electricity deal for you, because nobody knows your personal circumstances as well as you do. However, you can use our online comparison tool to add that information, then choose from options tailored to suit your needs.
- Looking for a good price is probably priority number one, but there are other areas to consider when choosing a new energy supplier:
- What type of plan is it and is the tariff fixed?
- How long does the contract last and is there an exit fee?
- How will payment be taken?
- If something goes wrong, does the supplier offer good customer service?
- In addition, it’s important to consider your current circumstances and preferences:
- What is the energy efficiency in your household like?
- Is it important that your supplier offers green energy?
- Would you prefer for both gas and electricity to come from the same supplier?
- Other reasons to switch:
- You’ve just moved to a new home
- It’s suspected that prices are about to rise so you want a fixed tariff
- A financial change meaning you need to review your outgoings
- Your current deal is coming to an end
To get started, take a look at the options available right now. Then grab a recent energy bill and start hunting for a cheaper deal using our comparison tool.
Finding the cheapest energy deals right now
It’s impossible to know exactly what the price of gas or electricity will be a few years down the line, with new suppliers emerging, energy deals changing, and a not-too-distant memory of price hikes from some of the best-known suppliers.
Leveraging the free resources available to find the best energy deals out there right now puts you at an advantage. By using Utility Saving Expert’s energy comparison service, you can find the most competitive rates with dependable suppliers who offer great customer service within a matter of minutes.
Whilst many personal factors will influence the most cost-effective deals for your home, figures from the energy market reveal the cheapest deals available.
|Big Six standard variable rate (SVT)||£1,254||-30%|
|Cheapest available tariff||£873|
The cheapest energy suppliers
Switch supplier and save money on your energy bills
Smaller energy suppliers
Don’t be taken with the Big Six just for the sake of it, size isn’t everything. Smaller, independent energy companies are thriving in the UK’s domestic energy market, and one of these companies could offer you the best deal for your household.
Small suppliers challenging the reign of the Big Six include:
- Shell Energy (previously First Utility)
- OVO Energy
- Utilty Warehouse
- Good Energy
- Octopus Energy
Switching to a smaller supplier
Wondering whether it is safe to switch to a smaller supplier? Regulations from Ofgem apply to all of the UK’s energy suppliers, big or small, so you can be safe in the knowledge that smaller suppliers follow all the same rules as the Big Six.
On top of this, many small suppliers can offer cheaper deals with better customer service, making them serious contenders in the gas and electricity market.
|Big Six||Other Suppliers||Price Difference|
|Average Standard Variable Rate (SVT)||£1,253.94||£1,148.88||£105.06|
|Cheapest available tariff||£932.24||£872.57||£59.67|
However, whereas the Big Six have committed to the Energy Switch Guarantee, which promises a speedy and safe switch from one energy provider to another, not all smaller suppliers have done so.
In addition, there have been some well-known instances of small suppliers going bankrupt, possibly due to charging extremely low energy prices. If you find yourself with a supplier who goes bankrupt, don’t panic, you won’t be left without power. Ofgem will move you to a new supplier, and then you can look at your options, compare and switch energy suppliers if you prefer.
Shop around to avoid SVTs
Finding the cheapest energy supplier
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to gas and electricity, and the tariff that suits you best might not suit your neighbour. You need to find the energy supplier that’s best for you based on your personal needs and the requirements of your household.
We can’t tell you exactly who to choose, but we can present the information that helps you to decide for yourself. With that in mind, here’s a recap with some final words of wisdom to help you on your quest to finding the best energy deals:
Finding the right deal
- Finding the best energy supplier depends on your needs and requirements
- You can use free comparison tools to navigate deals and offers
What people pay
- Energy bills exceed £100 per month on average
- You might pay more or less for your bills based on your location
- Fixed-rate tariffs can be useful, but don’t when your contract ends, don’t slip into a standard variable tariff where you may end up paying more
- You can switch to a new supplier during the last 49 days of your contract without paying an exit fee
- 80% of UK households use the Big Six, who are reliable and experienced
- Small suppliers are thriving in the UK’s domestic energy market and offer highly competitive rates and good customer service
Whilst switching energy supplier can be quick and easy, many households still pay above and beyond what they need to. Our free online comparison tool helps you find the best, cheapest energy deals on offer and makes switching easy.
Suggested Reading: best dual fuel deals