Home Insurance

Compare cheap home insurance quotes online

  • Compare up to 50 insurers
  • Find a great deal today
  • Protect your home and belongings
Compare Now
  • coversure-logo
  • a-plan-logo

You could save up to £151* on your Home Insurance

Whether you are moving into a new home, or you just want to ensure your current property is covered by the best insurance, comparing home insurance policies can be a struggle. With so many variations out there and a range of different additions, you can include, finding the right one for your needs takes time.

Here at Utility Saving Expert, we will help you compare home insurance plans, so you don’t have to waste time filtering through expensive policies.

So whether you are looking for a plan that includes contents insurance or one that can get your hot water back on if you face a boiler breakdown, you can find everything you need to know, and more, below!

What does home insurance cover?

If you are investing in insurance, you will want to know exactly what it can offer you. Although there is a range of different covers provided by insurers, the most common two are buildings and contents insurance. But what exactly do they cover and are they worth the investment?

Contents insurance

Perhaps the main reason regular homeowners will invest in home insurance is for the contents insurance. Protecting your personal belongings from accidental damage and theft is incredibly important, especially if you own some expensive furnishings or gadgets.

Contents insurance will help pay towards repairs or even replacements for any items that have been stolen or broken, at no fault of your own. Personal possessions cover rarely has to be expensive, especially if you have the protection that insurance companies love such as burglar alarms.

Your typical contents insurance covers the following:

  • Soft Furnishings: Sheets, curtains and cushions
  • Hard Furniture: Sofas, chairs, drawers and beds etc
  • Electricals: TVs, Consoles, Laptops and PCs
  • Kitchen Equipment: Pans, Plates, Pots and Cutlery
  • Entertainment: Books, Video Games, DVDs and Records

Contents insurance will usually cover far more than this, but if you are any doubt then ask the insurance company before you sign-up for their insurance plan.

Items like artwork and antiques are rarely covered, however, so be sure you check what your chosen home and contents insurance plan will cover for you. You may even find one that covers exactly what you need without the added fluff found alongside some house insurance plans.

Buildings insurance

Slightly different to contents insurance, but still a great way to offer that peace of mind you crave at home. Buildings insurance covrs most events where the structure of your building may be accidentally damaged.
Although not required by law, if you are a homeowner who currently has a mortgage, then you may be required to have some form of buildings insurance. This will depend entirely on the requirements of your mortgage plan and what your lender expects. If you are in any doubt then be sure to get in touch with your mortgage provider for clarification.

Whether the damage is caused by a flood or a fire, buildings insurance will usually be able to cover most of the costs. The most common structures included in a buildings insurance plan are:

  • Walls – Both internal and external
  • Roof
  • Ceilings
  • Doors – Including damaged locks and structural damage
  • Windows
  • Floors

Some plans will even include external structures such as your conservatory or a garage, but this will vary from insurance company to insurance company. Always make sure you check exactly what is included in any policy to make sure you are as covered as you think you are. You don’t want to be hit by a surprise bill after all.

In terms of what damage is covered by a buildings insurance policy, you will usually find the following disasters are covered:

  • Flooding
  • Damage caused by storms such as fires caused by lighting or extreme floods
  • Vandalism that isn’t caused by you
  • Gas leaks that lead to explosions, or similar events
  • External damage caused by vehicles

But again, read the policy over multiple times to see what exactly you are protected against. There may even be more events covered than just those we have listed, which is always a great addition to any home insurance policy.

Combined buildings and contents insurance

If you are looking for the best all-around home insurance, then you will want to combine both buildings and contents insurance. This will ensure that you are protected from any potential disaster further down the road and that you won’t have to fork out a fortune to cover any repairs or rebuilds.

A combined plan will cover all of the essentials, from protection from your personal belongings to ensure you have enough to cover your rebuild cost. Most home insurance providers will offer you a combined insurance policy as it is the best way to cover all fixtures and fittings.

Protecting both the exterior and interior of your home is extremely important, which is why a combined policy is more than worth the investment. You will usually be able to cover both types of insurance from the same insurer, which will save you the headache of comparing a wind range of quotes.

Again, the price of this will be reduced with additions to your homes such as door and window locks and it will usually be based on your full property details. Where possible, we would recommend that you find a combined home insurance plan that includes all the buildings cover that you could need!

Home insurance add-ons

Home emergency cover

When it comes to emergencies such as burst pipes, there isn’t a better home insurance addition than an emergency home cover. Anyone who has suffered through cold water caused by a boiler breakdown will know how much of a detrimental impact it can have on your livelihood and wellbeing.

Home emergency cover will thankfully help you quickly pay for emergency repairs, so you no longer need to worry about needing to save up to get your boiler fixed.

Your typical house insurance provider will include this in a combined insurance plan, but you should always enquire if you are wanting to add it to your policy. Preparing for emergencies is one of the best ways you can protect your finances and is exactly what home insurance can offer you.

Accidental damage cover

Accidental damage can be a pain, especially because it is unexpected. This can mean it may hit you when you are not in a financial situation where you can afford to make quick repairs or replacements. Thankfully, most home insurance plans, especially those that contain buildings insurance, will feature accidental cover.

Some plans will even offer contents insurance in terms of accidental damage, so furniture such as bookcases and sofas are protected. One thing to consider when it comes to accidental damages is that usual wear and tear is very rarely covered.

Structural damage is also considered, however, this is what buildings insurance is designed for. So events like floods and fallen trees will no longer seem like the disaster they are.

If you are contemplating investing in home insurance, then be sure to consider this addition to your chosen policy – As long as the insurance company will include it!

Personal belongings cover

Usually included in contents insurance, personal belongings cover will help you replace any stolen or accidentally damaged goods. This won’t usually cover one of a kind items like artwork and antiques, but it is a great addition if your contents insurance doesn’t cover personal belongings.

There is usually a limit to how much an insurer will cover in terms of replacement or repair costs for your personal belongings. Any limits will usually increase if you are paying more for your home insurance, so keep that in mind when comparing the many fantastic deals available today.

If you want to add this to your plan, you should always double-check what belongings are covered as some policies won’t cover everything. Objects such as jewellery and one-of-a-kind goods will sometimes be missing from belongings cover.

Alternative accommodation

If your home is damaged and requires large-scale repairs, then you will want to find somewhere else to live in the meantime. This can quickly become extremely expensive, especially if you don’t have family that live nearby.

Alternative Accommodation insurance will cover the costs associated with staying somewhere else whilst the repairs or rebuild is taking place. Whether this is in an alternative property or at a hotel, most home insurance plans will allow you to add this to your policy.

Before you agree to a plan though, check how much the company will insure in terms of alternative accommodation. Sometimes, it may not be enough to cover an extremely long stay, so try to find the highest insurance you can!

Legal Expenses

Often a rare addition to your home insurance, but one that should also be considered. Legal expense cover will help protect you from high legal expenses if you find yourself in court due to a property related event.

This is usually reserved for landlord insurance policies, but it can also be found in some buildings and contents cover plans. You will rarely find yourself needing to invest in legal expenses cover, but if you want the highest level of protection then it may just be worth the investment.

Compare home insurance quotes and you could save money

Is home insurance right for you?

How much does home insurance cost?

How to keep home insurance costs down

How to get a home insurance quote

To get a home insurance quote, you will first have to find an array of plans that cover your interests. This is usually done by comparing quotes out there and what they can offer your home. Once you have spotted a plan that looks like it might be right for you, then you should contact the provider.

This can usually be done either by email or by phone, but some will offer an in-person meeting to discuss your plan. You will be asked to input personal details no matter your choice as this can be used to gauge how much your home insurance may cost.

When an insurance provider checks your credit rating to check you are suitable for their plan, they won’t impact your credit score at all. Your credit score may change depending on your chosen payment method, whether that’s one lump sum or annually, so keep this in mind when you compare quotes.

Find the best deal

Compare home insurance quotes with Utility Saving Expert

We know how difficult comparing home insurance can be, which is why we are there to give you a helping hand. With relationships with over 50 trusted insurers, we can provide you with the tools you need to compare the best insurance quotes out there.

To do this, we will first compare the costs so you can find a set of quotes that will fall within your budgetary needs. Then we will check what a policy includes, such as contents insurance, accidental furniture damage cover etc.

If you are looking for home insurance that will offer you the most comprehensive protection, then get in touch with us today. We will help save you money as well as find a plan that covers all of your needs, so you don’t need to waste your time separating the wheat from the chaff!

*51% of consumers could save £151.03 on their Home Building & Contents Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next seven cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from June 2023. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances.

Compare Now

What factors can impact the cost of home insurance?

There are a few factors that will impact how much you may need to pay for home insurance. One of the most important factors is how safe your home currently is. Additions such as burglar alarms, secure locks and even double glazing can help lower the cost of any home insurance plan.

The structure of your property will also have an impact on how much you can expect to pay for home insurance.

If you currently occupy a listed building or one that is made from wood, you may be charged more for your insurance than if you were living in a typical concrete home. You may even need to invest in specialist insurance if this is the case.

When is the best time to purchase home insurance cover?

The best time to find the best home insurance policy is 3 weeks before your current plan renews or 3 weeks before you move to your new home. You may see reductions of up to 20% off your home insurance plan if you purchase it at the right time.

Purchasing your home insurance ahead of time, instead of on the day of your move – or even after, shows that you are careful and prepared. This will highlight to insurance providers that you can be trusted and that you are less likely to cost them more money.

Some insurers will even allow you to lock in an insurance plan cost 3 months before your renewal date, which can be another perfect way to save when shopping around.

Take your time when you are expecting a move or a renewal, and plan so you can save the most on your next home insurance policy.

How can I find the best home affordable insurance deals?

Finding the most affordable home insurance can be fairly tricky, especially with so many variations in plans. The best way to find the right one for you is to compare any current deals that are available for your home. Thankfully, we can help you do this with ease.

With quotes from over 50 trusted insurers, we can work alongside you to compare deals and find the one that covers all of your needs. We have years of experience when it comes to comparing policies so we know exactly what to look out for, and what is added to make a plan look more appealing.

Is it a legal requirement to have a home insurance policy?

In the UK, it isn’t a legal requirement to own a home insurance policy, although it is highly recommended. A home insurance policy can protect your personal belongings and your building from damage that you can’t afford.

It can also ensure that you don’t get surprised by a sudden high cost that you simply can’t afford. Home insurance is easily one of the best ways you can feel safer in your own home, something that we all deserve.

There is a range of other insurance types such as car insurance and mobile phones insurance that can add even more protection. However, if we had to choose just one we would advise you to invest in a trusted buildings and contents insurance plan.

Which level of home insurance cover do I need?

The level of home insurance you should need depends entirely on what you want to cover, how much your house is worth and whether or not you have kids. Firstly, the more protection you want, the higher the level of home insurance you will want to invest in.

A plan that covers both buildings and contents insurance is important as this will offer you the largest amount of house insurance. Home insurance claims will also depend entirely on the building and contents cover you have so that’s another thing to consider.

More expensive properties will require a higher level of protection, as the claims will tend to be more expensive – especially when it comes to the rebuild cost in case of an extreme accident.